“Do good and good will happen to you in different ways” this is a well-known quote that means that if we do good, help others and provide for others then we will get good in return and receive help when we need help.
Giving back is a powerful act that can have a profound impact on both the giver and the receiver. When we give back to our community, we not only contribute to the betterment of society, but we also gain a sense of purpose, fulfillment, and satisfaction.
Giving back or specifically the art of giving back refers to the act of contributing time, resources, or support to others or to the community. It involves helping others in need without expecting anything in return, and it can take many different forms. Giving back can involve volunteering at a local shelter, donating money to a charitable organization, or simply offering a helping hand to someone in need. The goal of giving back is to make a positive impact on the world and to help those who are less fortunate. It can also provide a sense of fulfilment and purpose, and help us to feel connected to our communities and to the world around us. Overall, giving back is a selfless act of kindness that can benefit both the giver and the recipient.
Here are some ways in which giving back can be powerful:
- It creates a sense of purpose: Giving back to society helps us feel that we are making a positive impact on the world around us. When we contribute our time, skills, or resources to a cause we care about, we can feel a sense of purpose and fulfillment that may be hard to find elsewhere.
- It builds connections: Volunteering or contributing to a cause can help us build connections with others who share our values. This can lead to new friendships and a sense of belonging within our community.
- It promotes gratitude: Giving back can help us recognize the privileges and blessings we have in our lives. It can help us develop a sense of gratitude for what we have and motivate us to give back even more.
- It helps us develop empathy: When we give back, we often interact with people who are different from us. This can help us develop empathy and a better understanding of the challenges that others face.
- It promotes personal growth: Giving back can challenge us to step out of our comfort zones and learn new skills. This can lead to personal growth and development.
So, we can say that giving back is a powerful way to make a positive impact on the world and on ourselves. Whether we volunteer our time, donate money, or simply spread kindness and positivity in our daily lives, every act of giving can make a difference.
Benefits of Giving Back:
Giving back, whether it’s through volunteering, donating money or resources, or supporting a cause, has many benefits
Here are some of them:
- Personal satisfaction: Giving back can give you a sense of satisfaction and purpose. It can be deeply rewarding to help others and make a positive impact in your community.
- Improved mental health: Studies have shown that volunteering and giving back can improve mental health by reducing stress and depression, and increasing happiness.
- Strengthened relationships: Giving back can help you build stronger relationships with others who share your values and interests. It can also help you meet new people and expand your social network.
- Enhanced sense of empathy: Giving back can increase your sense of empathy and understanding for others. By volunteering and working with different people and communities, you can gain a better perspective on their challenges and needs.
- Professional benefits: Volunteering and giving back can also provide professional benefits, such as developing new skills, gaining valuable experience, and expanding your network.
- Improved physical health: Giving back has also been linked to improved physical health. Studies have shown that volunteering can lead to lower blood pressure, reduced risk of heart disease, and increased physical activity.
Giving back is a win-win situation. Not only does it benefit the recipients of your generosity, but it can also provide you with personal and professional benefits.
What do we get in return if we give back to others?
The act of giving back can bring many benefits and rewards, both for the person giving and for the wider community. Some of the benefits of giving back include:
Sense of purpose and fulfillment: Giving back can provide a sense of purpose and fulfillment, as it allows individuals to make a positive impact in their community and contribute to a cause they care about.
- Improved mental health: Giving back has been shown to have positive effects on mental health, as it can reduce stress, anxiety, and depression.
- Increased social connections: Volunteering and giving back can help individuals build social connections and expand their networks, which can lead to new opportunities and friendships.
- Enhanced skill development: Giving back can provide opportunities for individuals to develop new skills or strengthen existing ones, such as leadership, communication, and teamwork.
- Positive impact on society: Giving back can have a positive impact on society by contributing to important causes, addressing societal issues, and supporting communities in need.
Overall, giving back can bring a sense of personal fulfillment, improve mental health, increase social connections, enhance skill development, and make a positive impact on society.
Suppose we help a needy family with money or by providing them with food & shelter. That gives us a sense of happiness and accomplishment which we might not get by doing any other thing because giving back makes us realize that helping out others is a good thing to do.
If we do something that brings joy to us, the level of happiness and excitement we get becomes priceless and makes us want to perform that particular task again.
For example, when we meet someone we’re attracted to, we feel an emotional connection; butterflies in our tummy. Those start to ease as your budding new relationship advances. This phenomenon is called hedonic adaptation. It’s our brain’s response to adapting to unique events throughout our lives. When employees get a promotion at work he/she may be excited and exhilarated for a few months but after a particular time, it gets normalized when the extra money doesn’t excite their brains anymore bringing them back to a normal, more regulated mood.
Who should a person feel after giving to charity?
Charity can make us feel a range of emotions depending on the circumstances and our personal experiences. Some of the ways the charity can make us feel include:
- Empathy: When we donate to a charitable cause, it is often because we feel empathy for those who are in need. Seeing the suffering or struggles of others can make us feel a sense of compassion and the desire to help.
- Gratitude: Giving to charity can also make us feel grateful for what we have in our own lives. It can serve as a reminder of how fortunate we are and encourage us to give back to others who may not have the same privileges.
- Fulfillment: Many people report feeling a sense of fulfillment or satisfaction when they donate to charity. Knowing that we are making a positive difference in someone else’s life can be very rewarding.
- Connection: Charitable giving can also create a sense of connection to a community or cause. When we support a cause that is important to us, it can give us a sense of purpose and belonging.
- Hope: Finally, charity can inspire feelings of hope and optimism for the future. By supporting organizations that are working to solve social or environmental problems, we can feel that we are part of a larger effort to create positive change in the world
- Satisfaction: Helping others can give us a sense of satisfaction and fulfillment. It can be a way to make a positive impact on the world and to feel like we are contributing to something meaningful.
- Altruism: Engaging in charitable acts can also provide us with a sense of altruism, which is the act of putting the needs of others before our own. This can be a powerful way to feel connected to our fellow human beings and to promote a sense of unity and cooperation.
Giving back to others can be a powerful way to make a positive impact on the world and to enhance our own well-being. When we engage in charitable acts, we are not only helping others in need, but we are also experiencing a range of positive emotions and feelings. Giving can evoke feelings of happiness, empathy, gratitude, satisfaction, and altruism. It can also provide us with a sense of purpose. Also, Giving back to others is a meaningful and impactful way to make a positive difference in the world. By engaging in charitable acts, we not only help those in need, but we also experience a range of positive emotions and feelings that can enhance our overall well-being. Giving can bring us feelings of happiness, empathy, gratitude, satisfaction, and altruism. It can also provide us with a sense of purpose and fulfillment, and remind us to appreciate the blessings we have in our lives. Ultimately, giving back is a powerful way to promote unity, compassion, and cooperation, and to make the world a better place for everyone.